Saturday 7 April 2012

I plant up the 1st green roof tray

Last week, Phil brought the trays down for my green roof. My WildlifeKate Hub's green roof needs to be grown in trays, so they can be lifted up onto the hub for the show. After the show, I will plant directly onto the roof. I have decided to experiment and plant up the trays in different ways, so I can experiment and see what works. 


On the edge of one of the fields opposite my garden, soil is often dumped. It has meant that, over the years a rather interesting assortment of humps, soils and plants have built up.







There were loads of poppies there last year and this year, the area is covered in poppy seedlings, all self sown from last year's plants. I thought a poppy tray would be interesting so, with my young nephew's help, we took the wheel barrow across and dug up a selection of the poppy plants.






I have bought some material weed control to line the trays and I cut this to fit. We then filled the tray with the soil from the heap in which the poppies were growing. We then planted to poppies into the tray. Hopefully, these plants will take and provide a lovely bright display for June! 











That's one tray planted up.... eight to go!!



No comments:

Post a Comment