Sunday 27 May 2012

Bird Feeding Central

Some weeks ago now, I made up a corner planter that Forest Garden had donated to me for Gardener's World Live. I planned to use it to make a feeding station and show people how you could create something for a smallish patio garden if you did not have many trees or similar around on which to hang feeders.

I changed it slightly to give height to one corner and used an old bird table that I already had. I rubbed this down and then painted it in the same colour as my hub.... Farrow & Ball 'Lichen'..... it completely transformed it!  With the help of Phil (who has built my hub) we create a lip around one of the platforms for me to create a waterhole.

Today I carved a hollow out of a log and sunk a terracotta dish in there. I then had a go at setting it up as I will at the show.... a couple of ferns and then back-filled with moss to make it look attractive. Coming off of this will also be a Nature's Feast metal bird feeder pole on which I can hang feeders. I will also have a branch mounted from the small green bracket you can see and this will display some home-made feeders.

This is going in the centre of my stand.... I'm hoping it will look really good!
 I 











2 comments:

  1. lovely Kate sorry i been rather busy with familty matters to read any blogs or do any myself will mail you later good luke in June

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bird house is so sweet! Having a Bird Feeding Station so low down might seem difficult with so many other animals scavenging about though, for example, there are foxes galore by me! Although, it’s nice to watch them sometimes too, so it doesn’t really matter. Wildlife is still interesting, whether flying or not!

    ReplyDelete