Monday 19 March 2012

Butler Sink to mini pond.....

Part of my plans for my stand at the show are to include a simple pond set-up, using an old Butler type sink.... showing how easy it is to set up a little watery habitat, even if you only have a small space. Old Butler sinks can often be found in reclamation yards or obtained when people are having kitechen re-fits! Check out e-bay as well for some bargains! I was lucky enough to get mine from Dan at G-Scapes and after heaving it home (they are extremely heavy), I was keen to set it up.

Obviously, I will have to drain it all to take it to the show, but I want to get it set up and established and then will try to move the water, plants and any life in there, to the show, in a sealed container.

This sink is pretty old and by the chips and cracks it has on it, it could probably tell a few tales! I like the fact it looks old though and after getting a new plug for it, I was pleased to see it was water tight.

I filled it with water from my pond, scooping some debris from the bottom as well, ensuring a generous addition of some invertebrates. I collected some plants from the pond as well and I will probably buy a couple of oxygenating plants as well to ensure the water remains suitably healthy enough to sustain life.

The whole process took less than half and hour and it already looks attractive on my patio. Once the water has settled, I may introduce a little of the frogspawn I have in there as well.







1 comment:

  1. Lovely Kate i have one that i use for growing things in but might change it uae when the thing i am growing in it comes out lovely post

    ReplyDelete