Friday 10 February 2012

Building a Green Roof

For those of you who read about my plans for the WildlifeKate Wildlife Hub, you will have noticed that my plans included a green roof. I have always been interested in the idea of a living roof, so wanted my hub to be the chance for me to learn more about them and see if I could create one. It is not simply a matter of sticking some turf on the roof though... there is a lot more to it than that, of course,... so I contacted the experts to help me... Dusty Gedge, of www.livingroofs.org has kindly agreed to help me and I'm really excitied about learning more about this.


The first thing I did was upload Dusty's great PDF booklet off of his website....






He then invited me to go on a beginner's DIY course on the 25th February.... this looks absolutely brill and I just can't wait to go and start learning all about this...


There is a chance that Dusty or his partner John Little might be able to make it to the show as well to explain to the visitors a bit more about how they can create a green roof. How brill would that be??!!


I will be taking lots of photos on my training day and letting you know how I get on... hopefully it will inspire you to think about where you could could create something similar....

3 comments:

  1. I share the same interest as yours, Kate. Green roofs really got the best of my attention. I just prefer seeing living things in my roof than just plain concrete or bricks. I’m simply a nature lover and I would love to advocate things that could help improve it, even if the medium would be my roof! Good luck on your training! :D

    Tiffany Larsen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! That PDF booklet might just help me and my wife with our green roof project. We are planning on making our green roof this weekend. So far, we have purchased a lot of flowers, plants, and even some vegetable seeds. I’m sure we’re going to have so much fun with it! =)

    Lino Kosters

    ReplyDelete
  3. “A living roof” – I like it that you pertain to a green roof as that because, technically, it is one. And yet it sounds more than that. :) You know, I hope everyone would hold the same interest as you do with this evolutionary roof. I’m really expecting that to happen sometime from now though. ;)

    Nelson Mcglaughlin

    ReplyDelete