Wednesday 8 February 2012

My Wildlife Hub

Have you ever dreamt of creating the perfect building for you?... one which is a reflection of your personality and meets your needs.... this is exactly what I am doing for Gardener's World Live!


My WildlifeHub will provide me with wildlife and photographic opportunities and I have designed it myself. I was lucky enough to meet Phil via Twitter and straight away, we realised that we would work well as a team and had skills that would benefit each other..... Phil is a talented carpenter and could turn my Wildlife Hub dreams into a reality and he needed a website... something I could do for him!


A couple of months have passed and Phil and I have been working together to fine tune my plans and to talk about all the possibilities. It is all tremendously exciting! I was going to keep it all a secret, but I thought I would rather just share everything... if you have seen it from the seed of an idea, to it becoming reality, then it will mean all the more if you have the chance to come and see it for real in June!


My Wildlife Hub will consist of a wooden garden building with lots of 'Pods'. These pods are different add-ons that can be affixed to the building in different positions, depending on individual's needs.


My Wildlife Hub will be set up in my garden after the show and is going to be sited on a patio area about half way up my garden. It will have some really exciting 'Pod' additions:


- Hedgehog box - with access from the inside to film visitors
- Nest Box - with access from the inside to film nesting species
- Photography / viewing windows
- Window bird table with opening for photography
- Moveable arms for bird feeders to position them for perfect photo!
- Bug Hotel with compartments to fill
- Planters for my choice of nectar rich flowers
- Solitary Bee hotel
- Green roof


Although this is just a preliminary sketch, it will give you an idea....




I will be travelling up to see Phil and see the first panel of my Wildlife Hub on the 1st March. The plan is to build it in panels, transport it to the show, where it will be erected and then we'll bring it back to my garden, so I can use it in my patch... I can't wait!


Phil is a talented guy... here are a couple of pictures of a garden building he built actually 'around' a tree!






You can see the branches of the tree coming out of the right-hand side!


I am very excited to be working with such a skilled carpenter, as I know he will be able to turn my sketches into reality... what a truly wonderful experience that will be. Thanks Phil for being so enthusiastic and so willing to be part of this adventure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment